Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's A Twister!

I've watched the Wizard of Oz countless times. And each of those times, I've seen the tornado go tearing through the Gale's farm and thought nothing of it. Well, now we live in a tornado zone and I think more of those things now.

Last night at 2:30 a.m. our kids awoke to the sound of the tornado sirens. Being the spiritual kids they are, they said a prayer (two in fact!) and got to their safe space (the bathtub). Eric found them in the tub ready for whatever may occur. Soon thereafter, they woke Mom up (didn't hear a thing) and we gathered together in the hallway (with doors closed). We listened to our radio (thanks Mom H.) and waited for news.

About 45 minutes later we were given the all clear. During the 45 minutes, we told stories and chatted. I wondered if any of you had any unique things your families did during blackouts, tornadoes, earthquakes, or any other natural disasters. Please share your thoughts as we are most likely to have more tornadoes to come.

Just want to also say how thankful I am to be safe and with my family. I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Oh my gosh how scary. Bryton is getting so big I can't believe is old enough to be baptized. Give my love to everyone.

Missy said...

Yeah, Neils is pretty much terrified of Tornadoes, and we had a lot of them during our time in Indiana for some reason. We haven't had a warning out here yet, but in Ellettsville our safe place was an interior room (future bathroom) in the basement, which unfortunately at the time had no lights. So we usually left the door open to keep track of the thing via PBS. I didn't exactly pass that exam with flying colors, as I was pretty much as scared about the whole thing as Neils most of the time. We usually just did what you did, talked, sang songs or played talking games (eye spy, etc). It was really hard keeping two under the age of two occupied in a dark closet for an hour, let me tell you. Never occurred to me to keep a few toys or a lantern in there for such times, though it's occurring to me now. Ah well, live and learn, right?